Opened: Theatre 1903, films 1907, cinema 1918
Address: 397 Holloway Road
Now: City and Islington College
In 1918 the building was refurbished and it opened as a cinema. The decoration was lavish. In addition to the refurbished auditorium there was a tea lounge that was equipped with cane chairs and palm trees. Rumour had it that the ghost of an elegant Edwardian gentleman could be seen walking around the building late at night. The first ‘talking’ picture to be shown at the Marlborough Theatre was Al Jolson’s ‘The Singing Fool’ on 26th August 1929. As other cinemas opened in the area competition grew and the Marlborough closed on 31 August 1957, the building was demolished five years later.